Friday, June 26, 2009

He's been hit by a smooth criminal...


Hello, Kat Paul blog readers! This is her sister, Tracie, and she has granted me exclusive rights as a guest blogger!
The message I bring to you this day is an extremely grievous one, brothers and sisters. One of my favorite on-the-way-to-Bear-Lake and cleaning-my-house jammers went the way of all the earth yesterday, as Kathrin and I were taking pictures at the Thanksgiving Point. (I added 'the' before the proper noun for Kathrin, she knows why.) Michael Jackson is his name. Creating masterpieces was his game.
As I type, Kathrin is sobbing behind me. The passing of this outrageously talented man was a shock. My mother and I took it the hardest, harder than Lisa Marie, even. As I fondly watch those excellent videos with the eerily long, skinny arms swinging about, lip synching, the annoying screaming girl (his date) in Thriller, and exquisitely high floods with white socks, my heart feels empty. Like a vast ocean that was just drained, sea life left twitching on the desolate sandy floors. Or a weary squirrel returning home to a lightning-shattered tree. Or an extremely fat kid after watching Willie Wonka finding out that there is no such thing. These worst case scenarios pale in comparison to the devastation felt by the Paul household...
"Hold on there, bobbalooey," you may say. "Hasn't he been absolutely disdainable the past twenty years?" To this I reply with a simple, "That was not my Michael J." We will not discuss his appalling behavior past this point. I believe the immense talent contained in this natural man was too much, and it tragically disabled his thinking abilities.
But as we return from that shudderingly dark age, we must remember only his early years. Not only a fantastically creative song-writer, (assuming he wrote his own songs, I'm almost positive he didn't, but let's just give him the benefit of the doubt), Michael had a mind-blowing voice partnered with some outrageously buck dance moves (minus the crotch grabbing, really, MJ? That's just silly, if you need to go potty, go before you perform). The variety of his music is astonishing, including even disco - my favorite song is Don't Stop til you get Enough!
In closing, we, the Paul sisters, would like to express our appreciation for this great man, pre-crazy years, and all the contributions he made to pop, 80's culture, and ensuring that we had an enjoyable ride to Bear Lake.
"RIP. Billie Jean will trouble him no more." -Erik Paul, a.k.a. funniest kid ever, from that comment alone.

10 comments:

Kathrin Paul said...

Oh wow. Maybe I should have her on a shorter leash. Even with all the sarcasm, we really are sad folks. It's a tragedy to lose such a legendary icon.
On your first guest post, Tracie, I give you an A for all of your metaphors and descriptive details. Sea life twitching on desolate sandy floors? Incredible.

Mom & Dad said...

I concur with your sentiments, Tracie. I have observed that, for the most part, incredibly talented people are usually a bit lacking in the common sense department (I'm definitely NOT referring to you, Tracie, you are an absolute inigma in regards to this syndrome.) Also, Tracie, scoffed at the sentiment that we parents felt this same way when Elvis and John Lennon died. So, you "Baby Boomers" (all 3 of you) what is your opinion?

xoxoxo,
Mom

April said...

That's a hilarious one: "Billie Jean will trouble him no more." Ah, gotta love the good jokes! Tracie, I give you an A++++++++++ on this tribute. It is sad to say goodbye to such an amazing artist, especially because he was kinda young. I do believe that our parents felt the same shock and sadness when Elvis and Lennon died. I'm a much bigger fan of the Beatles than I am of MJ, so I can totally understand why it'd be so horrible to see him die, especially cuz he was murdered, too. Also, with Elvis, cuz he died young too. It's just sad when they die young, but not so bad when they've lived a full life and you're expecting the death. Anyway, I agree with you about the crotch grabbing... that's just a little too weird for me. But I do love his music, so that makes it all right. Thank you for this wonderful, entertaining post.

April said...

BTW Tracie, you should start your own blog, because if all your posts are as entertaining as this one, I would read it all the time!

Kelsey said...

Oh man, that was waaaay too funny!

jenn said...

Tracie, Tracie, Tracie. You crack me up. Fabulous GP (guest post). And, maybe you should make your own so you don't have to GP. I'd read it. See, two fans already. Me and Wilde.

And, Mom Paul, I'm no Boomer, but I'm sad about Elvis too. Still! And, John Lennon. And, lots of other people who went before I got a chance to see them live. I feel jipped. But, they have an immortalized position in my album collection, right next to the beloved Michael Jackson.

Clayton and Heidi said...

Tracie you need a blog.
I would read it.
That's all.

Laura Burtis said...

Oh my gosh Trace! You are so freaking funny, I was reading this out loud to Michael and we were both laughing so hard. Great tribute! Love you, and love Kat... oh and of course RIP MJ!

Corine Moore said...

This is my first time seeing this blog... but I have to say I liked it! Thanks for posting! I feel the same way about Michael, and I love to hear someone else with the same sentiment. He really is a sweet and kind person, who really went through a lot to cause him to .... shall we say, "not be himself" in later years.

Here's to the real Michael Jackson! May his best years live on in our minds! :D

Rachel said...

okay haven't made it through the blogs for awhile, but that was a very nice post by tracie.....

We have girls camp this week so start praying for me AND I seriously want your autograph, that is SO AWESOME!